Friday, October 5, 2007

Volunteer Spotlight: Heather

Name: Heather Williams

Volunteer Since: September 2006

What you do as a volunteer: I started out with after-school Homework Club, helping the kids with their homework, and doing educational/enrichment activities with them when homework was finished. On Fridays during last school year, we had Karate Class and I worked with the kids, teaching them some fundamental skills such as kicks and punches; as well as some simple self-defense techniques. This school year, I am doing the Reading Tutor Program, helping the kids to improve their skills and hopefully learn to enjoy reading!

How I found out about the center: I saw an ad in the classifieds of the Rage newspaper.

My favorite part about being a volunteer is… being a part of these kids' lives on a regular basis. I have learned so much about their culture just from being around them once a week. They're such amazing children, very bright and full of personality! They really make me laugh -- mostly at myself but that's OK.

My least favorite part about being a volunteer is… not having as much time to spend with the kids as I would like.

My favorite memory is… Gosh, that's a hard one! The first thing that comes to mind is our "Dance-Off" at the end of school this summer. We adults might have had more fun than the kids!

I would encourage someone else to take the leap and volunteer because… there's no way to describe the "warm fuzzies" you get when a room full of little faces light up when you walk in the door -- or when you help a 4th grader FINALLY figure out that tricky long-division problem. Taking the time to get to know the kids and understanding what the Learning Center is about has been one of the most rewarding experiences for me.

No comments: